Skip to main content
Yesterday we went for a Polo game in Newport, Rhode Island. Truth be said, when I got the email reminding me that I had signed up for it a month ago I was not thrilled. But staying in the house is not always easy these days so I decided not to be a slacker and go. Mia threw the idea that we would dress up and wear big hats and as hard as that was to believe (at least for Pato), we decided to give it a try. I did not have a hat but I had good intentions so wore my white dress with brown butterflies. But I was in no way up to Teeba’s outfit, in her colourful dress but most of all, in her pink straight from Paris hat
We had a picnic, had wine and cheese, snacks and beer as we “camped” by the Polo lines. As the game started some of us did try to pay attention and suffered those moments were the US was falling a lot behind the South African team. But I must admit most people thought the breaks between the “Chakas” were the true reason for us to be there so we could all run like maniacs to go and fix the grass. I ended up going after the 5th Chaka, surrendering myself to the evidence of “In Rome, be Roman”.


I had a great time, we were a nice group of people trying to enjoy the last non-freezing moments in New England whilst still fighting to adapt back to life back in the bubble!





Comments

Unknown said…
I honestly think we were there for the food and drinks (not that I did any of that), good weather, good company, and stomping on the grass.. I didn't watch much of the game lol.. but I love polo!! hehe..

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)