Skip to main content

Back to HBS

Back to Boston, back home, which home… Leaving Lisbon and London was very tough, beyond description, coming back to Boston was not so bad. The emptiness of the house yesterday was contrasted by the huge amount of furniture I am selling for Bernardo and it makes me go out of the house to get some space. And then some things never change. I read one case out of four for today, which is a pretty good way to start the year. Then I just read cases from one class to the other but that clearly can not go on. This year, I have classes that get me tired after 10 minutes of trying to follow an insane discussion about stuff that I trust they are speaking in English but I am still not sure. Oh, and even better, this year, I have the phenomena of cold calls irrespectively of how much you speak. I had prevented cold calls for an entire year, by simply speaking frequently in class, but now it seems that does not work as a good strategy anymore. It was my first one but I can figure out not the last, and I was just lucky that I was not asked for any numbers. So this year, no reading cases at 3am after a night out in Rumor. Done deal. Now, back to the 150 emails that await me from the last 3 days since the show on National TV kind of turned my life upside down and I still did not manage to send the newsletter out. All for today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)