Skip to main content

Always love the Lounge… and some bad news

No matter airline I end up flying, there is one lounge that always makes me feel like home. As weird as it may seem to feel like home at a lounge, the truth is the BA Lounge does it. Always wondering why this student still has a gold card and typically the only woman around (at least until 5 minutes ago) I always play professional, have my orange juice and connect my laptop to the plug and to the free wi-fi. You got to love it. In case of doubt and small price difference it always makes me choose BA, to think that in a way I am ensuring the sustainability of this little yellow card.
But enough with superficial stuff today. I am happy and I am sad today. Well, I am mostly happy, I am on my way to London and I could not think of a place I would rather be. But I am sad for Rosa and João. It is Rosa’s birthday today, and yesterday, as they went for a drink in Maputo to celebrate, someone decided not to like that they were white and started a fight. All ended up in the police, with the cops clearly not defending the white guys. It is sad to think that these two (and her brother who just recently moved there) decided to dedicate a portion of their lives to live there and help the locals and this is “pay” they get. In times like this it is difficult to keep the will to be away from your most loved ones to work for people that do not want you there. I hope they hang on, for them, for me and for the children we so much try to help.

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow.. Hope all goes well with them and save travels sweetie.. can't get over the email title haha.. ;*

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)