Skip to main content

Only for a good cause

Did I mention how much it disturbs me to speak in public? Well, it does. I can’t say I don’t like it, or that I am not good at it, I can only say that it disturbs me beyond reasonable levels.
Tonight, I had a dinner, in “Academia do Bacalhau”, funny enough it means “Academy of the Cod” a kind of Portuguese association abroad that exists in over 5 countries. They invited me over since they sponsor 5 children in the Mission of Chongoene and this afternoon I found out I was supposed to speak. I manage to keep away from the hand shaking and stomach pain just until before my name was called. And I even followed all the rules today, prepare the speech, know the place in advance, all the good stuff that they taught us in some Harvard seminar about the “Fear of Public Speaking”. The only thing I did not do was eating bananas before. And it still clearly did not work. The piece of paper that I had lovingly prepared with the stories of Nomussa and Piedade that I told you last week seemed to be alive in my hands and I had to put it down in the table. On top of it, I tried holding the microphone with two hands, but that also did not work, it was surely alive too.
I ended up skipping parts of the story but I guess in the end they got the point – two children, which I seemed not to know the names since I kept on switching them, and transformational experiences (missing some HBS jargon here) with only little gestures. Something along those lines.
Next time, no paper, and no microphone. You could wonder why do I have to do a next time… Well, I have to, it is for a good cause. It is no wonder that I got no HBS grants last year, not even from the section, I really suck at fund raising :-)

Comments

Hello Sara.

Thank you for your visit and speach in our Academia do Bacalhau meeting.

Do not worry about speaches.... which by the way was good because it was ... real!!!

You are welcome to come everytime you be in Maputo.

best regards

Joao

coming for dinner.

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)