Skip to main content

Buying toys

Yesterday me and Teresa (the new volunteer, and the first ever for Um Pequeno Gesto) went to game, a developed world supermarket (or sort of) with a mission: buy gifts for the kids. Some because a nice sponsor sent a donation to buy something specific for a birthday, others just because I realized in the Orphanage they had nothing to play with. It was fun actually, us kind of lost in the middle of all those possibilities, trying to count of many 70 cents footballs we could afford not to go off budget. Clearly we did not realize the footballs were 70 cents until I got home and did the conversion :-)
Oh well, it was still fun, we got a blackboard and coloured chalk for the little ones, we got legos and puzzles, footballs for the boys, hula hoop circles for the girls. We even got High Street Musical sets of crayons and pens. The only thing we could not get was a Barbie or a doll for a girl’s birthday next week, not only were they expensive (even in real terms) but also they were all white girls. And that, I was not happy about, but I guess that is what you can get in South Africa and bring here…
I knew Teresa would enjoy the visit but was hoping she would control my anxiety of buying the entire store. That clearly did not work out. All she could avoid was me buying a little 4x4 ten-euro tricycle for my godchild and a giant bucket of chalk that was more pricy than the blackboard!
We were happy with our achievements and my room now looks like a playground, at least until the last weekend. We now consider that the furbishing of the nursery has started, we got a feel for the prices and we definitely decided we are coming back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)