Skip to main content

Ban Bossy #banbossy

I guess I never gave t much thought. In fact, I never even believed most of it when I heard people talk about it. It could be that people talked about it in a way I did not relate to and now I do. So did people change, or did I change? 
I want to find out, because the block on believing in gender inequality over the last 30 years was a good and a bad thing. It was a good thing because I believed I had no limits, and it really did not matter - I excelled at school, I excelled at my work, I was given all the opportunities, by my parents, my employers, my professors. Believing you have no limits is on its on, the first step not to be limited. But then I recognise it was also a bad thing, because I failed to notice whether around me other people felt differently, I failed to stop myself for being even stricter at interviewing women, I failed to dedicated more time at recruiting women. 
And then it hit me, just like a cliche. Maybe it is like those self help books people talk about, where someone loves it and others can't go through page 10, because it is just not the right time in life and suddenly another one of those exact same books resonates and drives one to be different. Maybe that is what happened to me when I read #leanin. My sister said "you can't be an ambitious women in a high profile job without reading this book". As a good younger sister that I always was, I did as I was told, and I read the book. As I read through it I could not believe my eyes as they filled with examples of things I clearly had done because I was a girl, and not because it made sense. Like changing jobs to #leanin, risking going into a less interesting role, as long as that would allow me to maybe 3 years later, have kids. I was lucky, the job turned out amazing and much more challenging than my previous one. Pure luck. 
So now I follow #leanin and I try to not dismiss women stories like "feminist tales". So today, I went for #banbossy, and I downloaded the tips for parents. I am sure I am going to find a lot of mistakes I already do there, but I have time, C is only 11 months old. I got her a ball and I am banning pink princesses as long as she does not ask for it. She wears pink, blue, brown, yellow, any colour really as she looks cute on any anyway. And I let her do what any child, girl or boy will do, even if she gets all bruised. 
I used to think parents discriminated girls in #mozambique only by making them fetch water 2 hours away and not allowing them into school. But there is so much more than that

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)