Skip to main content

Mindfull-ness

I am on Day 4 in the Maldives. It is still morning time and I can feel myself getting restless. I feel like I slept, ate and was healthy for the first 3 days and those were important priorities. Me and B are spending time together and enjoying having the time and facing tough choices like going to the Beach or the Water Villa, joining a yoga class or going to the spa. 
I decided to finish my book today, The Happiness Trap. It may not be the book of my life (How google Works gets me way more excited, given I started it after this book and finished 2 weeks ago) but it is the book that helps me change my life. Unlike any other self help book it is not all about being positive embracing life, keeping happy. It is preciselly about how this chase of happiness leads you to a trap to then be dissatisfied whenever you are any less than perfectly happy. I had stopped the book as I could not get one of the tasks completed but now decided I had to reas through the end, as it was probably not reasonable to be recommending the book or even be writing about the book without actually ever finishing it. It happens to me with books that I found so helpful that I start taking notes, writing about it, going back and forward but then neer finish. The other ones I remember lile this is Zilch, which I loved every bit, started taking notes, implemented some actions, but never made it to the end. This was years ago, when I still bought paper books. I now put it back to my night table, to see if the pressure of seeing it evey night works. Clearly not so far, 
Anyway, I finished my book and I got restless. Restless because I feel like I followed instructions so well and on the last stretch, I have stopped putting on paper my values and goals. I feel like this would help me greatly and actually facilitate a meaningful life. But whilst sometimes I am certain I am following my values others I wonder that if I put these down on paper I may face the reality that I am not and then I need to do some change. That is why I also wanted to stay away from the Landmark Forum. But the more I am aware of what is making me restless the more I know I will do it. Once you train your observing mind to identify what thoughts bother you, then you wither diffuse them or take action. And I fear these may be worthy of action. 
My mind is always full, just not sure that is mindfullness. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)