Skip to main content

Isle of Wight Time

We decided to vary from English countryside and try the English seaside instead. The prospects were not good. This week it snowed in London, the week was grey and cold, we were exhausted from a nasty week at work. For the first time in years we did not go in search of guaranteed warm sun as we always do in the first May Bank Holiday. Initially planned as a Cornwall trip, our weekend turned to the Isle of Wight, also unknown to us. 
Isle of Wight is not disappointing so far. The classic English manor house at the Priory Bay Hotel offered us a superb room with a view overlooking the estate and the sea. The friendly staff are welcoming of our unstoppable toddler though we are surprised to see almost no guests (after the website said they were full and we called just to give it a try). The estate also give us direct access to a large sandy beach (from where I started this blog) where we spent a long lazy time watching the sea, collecting stones and throwing up them back at the water. The beach had only locals who immediately took the good weather on offer. They all seem to have a dog, must be a requirement around here. By good weather I mean we were ok in our wintery jackets, not in shorts or t-shirts! C played endlessly with stones and sand. She does not get messy enough as she is often oicky about having her hands dirty so we encouraged her and, as we moved to the beach 'next door', a pebble beach, she enjoyed laying down and burying daddy on the stones. 
The afternoon took a turn away from the sea as we decided to visit the IOW Zoo. At first we were suspicious of whether we were making the right choice, but as we started the tiger feed we knew we were in the right place. Tiger Aisha chose to place her meal just in fromt of us, a meter away, where we could enjoy the scenery without having to zoom in any camera. Of all places, I never thought Isle of Wight Zoo would be where I would see closer lions, tigers and a jaguar. Exhausted but happy we finished our day with a muffin by the beach. 
As we walked on the beach I got nostalgic of what i know won't last forever. When one of our long lasting dreams comes through and we move to Portugal, we know we will have less time for our core. So we promised we would do this no matter what, to spend time with each other. And stop to watch throw pebbles and get our hands in the sand. Thank you Isle of Wight for a happy (Portuguese) mother's day!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)