Skip to main content

Startracker

Yesterday was the first Startracker event in Mozambique. Startracker is a global talent network for Portuguese people. It is kind of like asmallworld but you have to be Portuguese and you have to have some kind of international experience. Cooler than facebook because it requires invitations, cooler than asmallworld because there is actually a sense of community. It is a place to show that Portugal is not that small and Portuguese people are doing great things around the world. A series of events have been happening in different cities and yesterday, Maputo was the place to be as a “Startracker”. João, an expat who seems to love organizing events (and is pretty good at it too) got Tiago, one of the founders, to stop by on his way to a family trip and gathered 90 of the 150 people Portuguese in Maputo that are Startrackers. He wants to make it to 500 by December, I think he can.
But better than that, he wants to help me out! Well, not me maybe, but the NGO. He proposed Um Pequeno Gesto to be the supported charity of the Mozambique branch and invited me to present to them. Luckily enough João (this time another one, the one that has been hanging out with us a lot) prepared an awesome (and I must use the American word here because it was really awesome) movie showing all that we do. It still amazes me to see all we can accomplish. After a movie like that, even shaking-Sara could do a speech, no-one would remember my words anyway, after the power of the pictures and the music he put together. And I did, and I even said a lot of what I thought I would say… that was a first! We got 21 sponsors for the children and closed the sponsorships for the year and we got furniture donations for the Nursery to see if we are able to get it going soon. And we got tons of supportive people offering their services, their knowledge, their network and their help. Even coming from Harvard, the power of this network still amazes me. Thank you Startracker!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)