Skip to main content

Life Chart

Today at CBT I was asked to plot my life chart. I knew some basic ones - potentially my highest and my lowest, but was interesting to try and plot 35 years into a piece of paper. I labelled the years under my age. 
I was sure on the lowest: 2015. The year where everything was fine and nothing felt right. That was easy. I even knew the date - 18 July 2015, the day of my 34th birthday.  I did have the relative question on where to plot the lowest. Is my lowest zero or just average. Will my lowest a blip when i try and do this chart at age 60?
I quickly moved on to what i rationalized as my second low, at age 15. Interesting enough, despite the havock of my father leaving at age 15, it did not feel nearly as bad as last year. Is it distance from the event? Can't tell. I can't pinpoint what I felt that made it low, how I dealt, was hard to connect with it. Generally, my feeling was the point would have been much lower had I known how the secondary effects would last through to today. Wow I might have really needed therapy then. But when it happened it was an isolated bad event rather that just became business as usual. If I remember feeling bad? Yes. But I did not feel abandoned and alone, I guess my life was still evolving to being able to digest such emotions. 
I then fiddled with the pen to come up with a childhood line. I remember it to be happy, but again memory fails me in how I should describe it. So onto grown up life. 
The climb as I moved to London was an ascending one, with only some blips in isolated segments of life. My job becoming a career, a break becoming an MBA in Harvard, a little gesture dream becoming a proper charity, meeting B and chosing to grow old together. 2011 and 2012 have to be the peak of this ascension. I must admit, I started by putting 2013 when C was born as the peak but most likely that was just because I should. Having a child is happy no doubt, one of the most special moments in life for sure, but the year around it may be nothing short of overwhelming. So i decided on 2011 as the peak year, with 2012 a close second. 
She asked why? I had trouble saying it, I am not even sure myself. The reason I learnt not to rationalise and explain why I feel sad sometimes (to avoid the risk of feeling worse), would probably lead me to also not explain why I feel happy. It was a day where I cared only about myself and B and was overwhelmed with joy to be able to sustain any other worries for longer than 5 minutes. Despite all that happened along the way. And we lead our life like that for a while. Worrying less, focusing on what we wanted to do more. We don't do that much. That is what I can't point. 
I don't think she was too happy that I had trouble connecting. I was not avoiding it, but I found that happiness is even harder to explain than unhappiness, even though it would most likely help me understand what drives happiness in me!

Comments

C/N/N said…
I forget who said this, but sadness behaves like velcro, while happiness behaves like teflon ...

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)