Skip to main content

Divided between 2 worlds

As life moves on in London, the few years have now become 11 years and I can't help but wondering. As we get into a bigger rent, school fees, nanny and everything else we already had before, you are not as far from break even as you would hope to be for living away from your home for 11 years.  The feeling is more accute after buying the house in Lisbon, that is for sure. It is not that I did not grow to love London - I really do. I would miss our life here, the feeling of only having ourselves to respond to, the spontaneous brunches, visits to the park at C's insistence, the Sunday mass just the 3 of us, my friends. And work of course, I would miss work, because I am still quite fond of it. Perhaps because it was the only thing I was not afraid to change over the last years. 
But then I wonder if a career change would also not be in order - even though I committed to put my dedication to entrepreneurship on hold for this year - except legal flow - it is dormant and sometimes wants to come out. The amount of time I have spare also does not let me implement all I would wish for in the charity. And could I afford any of these jobs in London? Unlikely. 
One thinks you always want to leave when life is good so you feel like being abroad was a total success. But will you ever leave if it is?
And then it is the time of life when our families may need us the most, as our parents grow old, as people we grew up with start having health issues. You kind of just want to be there. Life does not always go on.
I was always thorn and I always wanted to go back home. But now there is an even bigger divide. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)