Skip to main content

The generation of women that was created to be everything a man DOES NOT want'


I read this article today, and i was going to share it on my facebook I realised ot had the limitation of being in Portuguese.  So I just thought I would bring some pieces here! I am sharing it not because i feel it myself, I actually feel very blessed B is so supportive and actually pushes me to ask for more. And I can't help my thing of my favourite Indian girlfriend. 

"The generation of women that was created to be everything a man DOES NOT want'

Sometimes I catch myself imagining an hypotetical man that describes the woman of his dreams "she has to study and work a lot and have a permanently full email inbox. Her feet should have blisters because she continuously walks back and forward in her high heels. She should be independent and do what she pleases with her own salary: buy an expensive purse, donate to a social project, make a trip though Europe on her own. She needs to drove well and understand about taxes. Cooking? She does not have to. There is a certain charm about getting it wromg, even if rice. She does not have to be super fit as there is no time to do what she does and still go to the gym. But more than anything: she needs to be very self confident and not depend on me, or anyone.

(...) we are the generation that was raised to win the world, pushed tp study, work, travel and build our independence.  We did not have sewing classes, just like the boys in our generation,  we were thought to do sports, englisg, driving, building a resume, just like the boys. 

But listen, did someone actually told these same boys that we would be like that? That we would fight for their jobs? That we would rather go out for dinner than cook? That we would lole beer, whisky, foot all? That we were raised to find happinness in freedom and fear in submission? (...) 

The fact is, who was raised to want us? Who is confident enough to love a woman that flies? That we are the generation of partnership rather than dependency? 

The men are not to blame. It is society and the idea it still sells of the woman role. Fathers creating daughters for the world but daughters in law to stay at home. 

We will mot be moving backwards, we have moved to win the world. Now the world needs to win us back. 

(by Ruth Manus at Estadao http://blogs.estadao.com.br/ruth-manus/a-incrivel-geracao-de-mulheres-que-foi-criada-para-ser-tudo-o-que-um-homem-nao-quer/)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)