Skip to main content

Rainy London

Yes, I am writing this on July 14. In fact, I don't think it ever rains as much in London as in July and August. People have this conviction that it rains in London all the time. I guess it is a syndrome of the movies - they set movies to be filmed during the summer to see if the weather is better and then it always rains. As an example, last year, was the first Wimbledon that it did not rain (always in june) and in reality this was the first year that they put a glass roof over the central court. Who would think. Moreover, when we got to May and we were all happy about our new terrace, we had a warning that no one was allowed to water plants and gardens because we were having a drought in London. Indeed, it rained very little this winter. But I don't know why the authorities worried. You only had to get to June or July for the rain to start falling, and pouring, all the time, every day and every night. For those of you who hope for good weather and reserve the summer to visit London, big mistake. The winter has roughly the same temperature, perhaps a couple of degrees less, but it is much drier and better to walk about. This 2012 winter was even sunnier than any other winter I have lived here before. Summer tourism ensures one thing, you need to bring a trench-coat and an umbrella if you are going on the double decker... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)