Skip to main content

Expat Stuff

Being an expat is always fun. You always connect with the most random people and anyone you just meet can become an immediate friend if you happen to have a common background (or maybe without it). So here I was, planning a quiet weekend in Xai-Xai, probably the last quiet weekend in the Summer. And then DP asked if he could join (I would ask to, after loving so much the orphanage!) and off course I was happy to have his company for the ride. And then Frank and Heather want to join, because Heather was a development worker before and is delighted to get to know Mozambique better. And you know me, I am always delighted to show a bit more of what I love to people! But them coming meant I was back to driving alone up there! Oh well, last minute this morning, two students arrived, guess where, from Boston College! So my expat feeling just invited them to come along for the weekend, especially since there is a 4th of July celebration going on at the beach! I am back to driving in good company in the car and get to know new people and new stories. By the way things have been going here, I am pretty sure we will have someone that we know in common, just as with every other expat that I know here in Maputo! Have a great weekend, more news when I am back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)