Skip to main content

Living my religion

I gave up on french fries for Lent. Not a big thing for most people, a hell of a big thing for me. A lot of people still find it weird that you would give up on something. And then others turn and say "well I gave up on chocolate". Chocolate would have been easy for me, I must admit. It feels a bit thing for many people but I am not a sweet tooth. Bread and french fries were the big things left on my list, and I must admit I don't feel I should punish others from my own sacrifice, so bread was out of the question. I was certain to be unbearable, unsociable and a real pain if I gave up on bread. So I chose french fries. I never thought I would but on Ash wednesday as it came to my mind I knew it had to be.
Does God ask me to give up on anything? No, not at all. Religion, as most things in life, is a choice. My faith is aligned with my values, the religion I chose to follow is as well, most of the times, but not at all times. It has been 12 years since I started giving up on something for Lent. It does not run in the family, it was not thought to me in Catholic school. I was living in Mozambique and as I entered a very spiritual Lent, I chose to give up on Coca Cola, my favourite drink ever. Living in permanent >30 degrees celsius, this may not have been my smartest choice yet. And no, the nuns I was living with never told me to do so, and actually I am not even sure they gave up on something specific themselves. At some point, I was quite ill, thought to be malaria, but in the end just some tummy bug that you are never immune from when living there. As I de-hydrated and held nothing in my stomach the doctor recommended carrot, rice and Coke. I told him no Coke. He looked at me blankly trying to figure out if I was there with some with to melt. When I told him I would have no Coke until Easter Sunday, he had the nuns assemble around me and promise me God would forgive me for breaking my lent as I was ill. Never a coke tasted so bad, but I recognised illness was not what God asked from me. My first Lent without something was also the most special resurrection. As we arrived for a Mass that lasted over 4 hours in Portuguese and dialect, Easter supper was ready to end the fast and the Sister Aparecida had put a Coke on ice for me since midday. Never did Coke felt so good. 
Since then, I have tried to do it every year, with few exceptions. Most times it was Coke, enhanced to include all replacement soft drinks with the years (yes, I concluded Ginger Ale was cheating). I also gave up on alcohol twice, one of them during MBA, which I must say was almost as bad of an idea as the Coke one in Mozambique. And people wondered why. 

I give up on something because I used it as cleansing. I believe it makes my senses more acute and it supports my path through an Easter for change. For many years, Easter would be the most common year where I would try and stop to think about life and change things I did not feel right. That dates back to when I was 20 years old but is often limited by the fact that I worked most of my Easters in MS, except the one I had C. Well, indeed I was working hard on that one too, as C was born Holy Thursday. But that was a change in life I did not have to think about, it was certain to come! 
Anyway, I believe giving up on something helps me set the path to clean my soul in a symbolic fashion. Moreover, it has the benefit of making me enjoy whatever I give up on much more once I have it again. And more often than not, it last years after. I never again had a Coke without really wanting one, and I know the first french fries I eat in a week (yes, counting the days) will be special and memorable. 

We all have our ways to live our religion, this is mine. I do it for me and for the belief that Jesus endured a tortuous path before delivering himself to something greater. Whatever we all believe in, makes sense to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is official, I now like Malbec

Yesterday the internet in Argentina did not cooperate so no update. The day in Mendoza was great, with the nice and small family Vineyard of Altos de Hormigas being one of my favourites. They were very nice and the Malbec reserva the one that finally convinced me to like Malbec! We still had one more vineyard to go, Familia Zucatti, where we had a great lunch but the tours was already too much, we prefered to walk around on our own. But again, very different and very worth it! Today, we added Tevia to the group (after she came in my room at 5am) and repeated the Cemeterio since Tev and Shilps had not seen it, and then Malba. Surprise, surprise. Buenos Aires is not a small city but we still managed to run into Nitin and Ted in the Museum! We had a nice lunch with them and went for some more sightseeing in the afternoon. We went to Plaza de Mayo where the Casa Rosa is, walked down Calle Florida, the shopping street and up to Plaza San Martn for an excellent night view of the city. No

Cover Letters

When it takes you six hours to write a cover letter, what the hell happened? I can find a handful of explanations and let you decide i) I have a hard case to sell; ii) I am too full of myself and spending too much time praising my beloved skills and experience; iii) I don’t know the company well and need to spend hours educating myself first; iv) I am watching NCIS and House in parallel, v) I am a perfectionist. For the ones that know me best, I can bet you started with number v). Bernardo is clearly betting on number iv) though wondering why not my favourite Law & Order SVU. It is nice of you to think that but, even though it is true that those are pieces of me to blame, number i), ii) and iii) also apply. First, I do have a hard case to sell. As impressive at it may seem to have worked in Morgan Stanley, how do I guarantee that it is not because the market is down that I am not going back there. As impressive as it may seem to have worked on the ground in Mozambique, what does i

What would you do?

It is the new buzz word - or should I say sentence. What would you do if you were not afraid. I like to think I am not - I guess man or woman, we all do. But my answer to that question would not come blank for me - at all. And it is not being afraid because I am a woman, it is really because life can pose a threat big enough to some less expected things. The one that comes to mind today is ' I would write my book '. Note that I did not say I would write 'a' book but 'my' book. In fact I should probably even say 'one of them'. I think i have started 3 real ones by now, and 2 have a decent shot as well. But the reality I face is - what if no one wants to read it? Who will want to read what I have to say?  When I was a kid, I would write a ton of poetry. I wrote the first poem on record about the moon and the stars and as I received some first prize on my fourth grade, my parents found out about it. For many years, no matter what I bought as a gift for my d