Skip to main content

Flying Emirates

The prospect of spending the next 16 hours in not one but two airplanes is never an appealing one. But as I board my Lisbon Dubai Emirates flight suddenly the anxiety fades. There are so many mitigating factors. The smile on everyone is contagious! My seat has space and my screen is impressively larg. I only get annoyed by all the announcements in the beginning of the flight but that is only because I want to see the cameras. 
As we take off i watch the beauty of the front camera as we speed through the skys. But it is really the under plane camera that makes it all a notch above. One of those mments worthy of a picture we see the landscape below us marked only by the shadow of the airplane. We are excited to try and recognise the places we pass by and I am already excited to think of how beautiful the landing back in Lisbon will be. 
After my short take-off nap, which I have since I joined banking in 2004 and never left me, only to get interrupted by vague attempts to keep my 3 year old still when we take off, I look around. What will I do now. I dont have to rush or optimize. My seat has its own plug and usb charger, i can work the hell out of this flight. I know it sounds weird, but flights are always a premium place to get charity work done and I also did not benefit a lot of this since I had a baby. Only peppa pig and Amazon Video have provided some short periods in the more recent flights. But in long flights, there was always the limitation of the battery time in the laptop. My ultrabook started at 7 hours but the heavy beating iI gave it the last few years have reduced this. My own plug. How exciting. 
So let me sit back and enjoy some music before i plug the pc on. The headphones bag brings a label. Another little extra that must have no cost and which I would have paid for in some early morning flights when I was a banker and flight crew would insist of making me jump out of sleep, not realizing i had just slept as much on my chair as on my bed before getting on the cab, where I probably also got 20pct of my sleep for the night. Small labels for do not disturb, wake me up for meals or wake me up for duty free to put on your chair. Not hard to make things a notch simpler. So i finally head on to choose my music, the "e" on the ice that we can enjoy on board. And the selection is endless. For simplicity i hit the uk top charts to find that they have all the uk top charts since 1952 with news from the year. I am hooked. I start in 2015 and will see which one i get to next. 
It is just the beginning of the flight and my expectations are already high. B is excited as he puts his first movie. I cant help but blog and share this. I dance to the sound of Uptown Funk and promise I will try and make the most of this forced holiday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is official, I now like Malbec

Yesterday the internet in Argentina did not cooperate so no update. The day in Mendoza was great, with the nice and small family Vineyard of Altos de Hormigas being one of my favourites. They were very nice and the Malbec reserva the one that finally convinced me to like Malbec! We still had one more vineyard to go, Familia Zucatti, where we had a great lunch but the tours was already too much, we prefered to walk around on our own. But again, very different and very worth it! Today, we added Tevia to the group (after she came in my room at 5am) and repeated the Cemeterio since Tev and Shilps had not seen it, and then Malba. Surprise, surprise. Buenos Aires is not a small city but we still managed to run into Nitin and Ted in the Museum! We had a nice lunch with them and went for some more sightseeing in the afternoon. We went to Plaza de Mayo where the Casa Rosa is, walked down Calle Florida, the shopping street and up to Plaza San Martn for an excellent night view of the city. No

Cover Letters

When it takes you six hours to write a cover letter, what the hell happened? I can find a handful of explanations and let you decide i) I have a hard case to sell; ii) I am too full of myself and spending too much time praising my beloved skills and experience; iii) I don’t know the company well and need to spend hours educating myself first; iv) I am watching NCIS and House in parallel, v) I am a perfectionist. For the ones that know me best, I can bet you started with number v). Bernardo is clearly betting on number iv) though wondering why not my favourite Law & Order SVU. It is nice of you to think that but, even though it is true that those are pieces of me to blame, number i), ii) and iii) also apply. First, I do have a hard case to sell. As impressive at it may seem to have worked in Morgan Stanley, how do I guarantee that it is not because the market is down that I am not going back there. As impressive as it may seem to have worked on the ground in Mozambique, what does i

What would you do?

It is the new buzz word - or should I say sentence. What would you do if you were not afraid. I like to think I am not - I guess man or woman, we all do. But my answer to that question would not come blank for me - at all. And it is not being afraid because I am a woman, it is really because life can pose a threat big enough to some less expected things. The one that comes to mind today is ' I would write my book '. Note that I did not say I would write 'a' book but 'my' book. In fact I should probably even say 'one of them'. I think i have started 3 real ones by now, and 2 have a decent shot as well. But the reality I face is - what if no one wants to read it? Who will want to read what I have to say?  When I was a kid, I would write a ton of poetry. I wrote the first poem on record about the moon and the stars and as I received some first prize on my fourth grade, my parents found out about it. For many years, no matter what I bought as a gift for my d