Skip to main content

Animal Weekend

The weekend was GREAT, full of animals and animation. We took off Friday afternoon and if it was not for an hour on the border we probably would have made it in an hour. Roads in South Africa are clearly better, and driving is not that full of unexpected events like the N1 to Xai-Xai. We stayed at a really nice B&B in Malelane, next to the Malelane gate, the Vila Langa, that I definitely recommend. Cheaper than the big lodges and really nice people. They organized everything for us and service was great and very familiar.

The adventure of “where-on-earth-did-they-leave-the-service-concept” started early at dinner. We went to The Deck for dinner, a nice place by the river, amazing food, inexistent service. Just hard to believe…



We had an early start on Saturday, at 4.30 and at 5.15 we were already by the Echo Safari office, ready to go in our adventure. At 5.45 we were queuing at the gate, led by Washington, our guide, in an open vehicle. The camera was not even out and a Hippo ran away from us, the first car to enter the Kruger Park that morning. After being greeted by the first of the big five, the Rhino,
and as we passed the first bridge, Washington tells us “ I can see some eyes there, but not sure what animal”. The sleepiness (or should I say ignorance) led us not to pay attention. It turns out that we later found out that our guide could see a leopard, the second of the big five. With the zoom at 24x, we had trouble seeing it… That was impressive.

But Washington was indeed there to impress and to prove the difference that the guide can make in your experience in the Kruger. As he drove us through at least three herds of elephants (also big5), he heard there were lions around but they were on the move, which meant we probably would missed them. Undefeated, he points at a red tree and says “see, there’s the lioness”. To our amazement, the 24x zoom of the camera did show a lioness. As I kept working on the picture, he says “look, there is a lion going by”. At this point, Bernardo, who did not have the camera is thinking the guy is insane and it turns out that suddenly a lion turns up in the lenses of my camera… What a sharp eye! And that made the 4 out of the big five.

We still had time to observe closely an old elephant for a while, letting him in piece while he prepared to cross the road. A tourist was not as patient and as he decided to drive through, we had a funny Jurassic Park moment as the elephant
ran after the car… Luckily he took to long to start the chase… We thought the Buffalo was going to defeat us in our mission of seeing the big5 but as we exited the park, the bridge over the crocodile river (clearly full of crocodiles) greeted us with two nice buffalos sitting there as they were waiting for us to say goodbye. The six hours of safari were totally worth it. The sunrise was cold and the blankets were barely enough to deal with it but we clearly did not care. We stopped for breakfast at the picnic site to amaze Bernardo a bit more with the wonders of the South African self catering culture. We ordered eggs.. they brought eggs, onions, mushrooms, bacon and sausages and did the barbecue right there…

We were not as lucky in the night safari. We went to the Crocodile Bridge gate since Malelane was booked out (also arranged by our B&B) and were not that lucky with the guide. We saw some bush monkeys, a hyena and giraffes but clearly another three hours looking at the bushes only with a light looking for animal eyes was clearly not as exciting. Apparently it really depends on the guide, and we spent all our brownie points in the morning! We still enjoyed a beautiful sunset, one of those that Africa has to give you like nowhere else in the world!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is official, I now like Malbec

Yesterday the internet in Argentina did not cooperate so no update. The day in Mendoza was great, with the nice and small family Vineyard of Altos de Hormigas being one of my favourites. They were very nice and the Malbec reserva the one that finally convinced me to like Malbec! We still had one more vineyard to go, Familia Zucatti, where we had a great lunch but the tours was already too much, we prefered to walk around on our own. But again, very different and very worth it! Today, we added Tevia to the group (after she came in my room at 5am) and repeated the Cemeterio since Tev and Shilps had not seen it, and then Malba. Surprise, surprise. Buenos Aires is not a small city but we still managed to run into Nitin and Ted in the Museum! We had a nice lunch with them and went for some more sightseeing in the afternoon. We went to Plaza de Mayo where the Casa Rosa is, walked down Calle Florida, the shopping street and up to Plaza San Martn for an excellent night view of the city. No

Cover Letters

When it takes you six hours to write a cover letter, what the hell happened? I can find a handful of explanations and let you decide i) I have a hard case to sell; ii) I am too full of myself and spending too much time praising my beloved skills and experience; iii) I don’t know the company well and need to spend hours educating myself first; iv) I am watching NCIS and House in parallel, v) I am a perfectionist. For the ones that know me best, I can bet you started with number v). Bernardo is clearly betting on number iv) though wondering why not my favourite Law & Order SVU. It is nice of you to think that but, even though it is true that those are pieces of me to blame, number i), ii) and iii) also apply. First, I do have a hard case to sell. As impressive at it may seem to have worked in Morgan Stanley, how do I guarantee that it is not because the market is down that I am not going back there. As impressive as it may seem to have worked on the ground in Mozambique, what does i

What would you do?

It is the new buzz word - or should I say sentence. What would you do if you were not afraid. I like to think I am not - I guess man or woman, we all do. But my answer to that question would not come blank for me - at all. And it is not being afraid because I am a woman, it is really because life can pose a threat big enough to some less expected things. The one that comes to mind today is ' I would write my book '. Note that I did not say I would write 'a' book but 'my' book. In fact I should probably even say 'one of them'. I think i have started 3 real ones by now, and 2 have a decent shot as well. But the reality I face is - what if no one wants to read it? Who will want to read what I have to say?  When I was a kid, I would write a ton of poetry. I wrote the first poem on record about the moon and the stars and as I received some first prize on my fourth grade, my parents found out about it. For many years, no matter what I bought as a gift for my d