Skip to main content

Day 6 - My first day

To whoever ever wondered what it would be the first day at business school, here goes my piece of information. If you have never really wondered, I am not that sure why you would be reading something with such a title, given the obvious relation of what is going through my mind to the laptop right now but I will just assume you are so nice you can not avoid reading these lines.

To those curious of you, I will undo the myth for you. I had a really fun day. I did lego, I had my eyes folded to figure out colours and shapes of the foam weird objects I was given, we built a wood puzzle against the time. What, you actually thought I was actually going to spend my first day on the case method? Well, I might have, but in fact the day was beautiful and hot so we changed the plans last minute and decided to go for outdoor activities instead J Naaaa, I know your thinking that it was just vacation, I still get those jokes every day but that is actually not right. I did get to learn a lot today. A lot about myself (and my inability to memorize the sequence in which I had to place my share of the wood pieces and ability to continuously destroy the timing of the team) and a lot about being in such a diverse group. And now it’s when you think (I will continue my assumptions) that “OMG, her first day and she is already going to this diversity story!”. True, I am.

Today I got assigned my learning team, something that only recently has turned out mandatory but that is now part of the experience here. Every morning, I will meet this 4 people at 7.30 in the morning, to go through the 3 case studies of the day. Now, you know how much someone like me adores getting out of bed before 7am (and as such I live on campus next to the building, I might just make it if I get up sharp at 7!). Well, they definitely had to give us a positive start to try to make you forget from the timing of the future meetings. How can you possibly easily engage with someone that will make you get out of bed and “discuss” for a full hour, just before the classes start and after a night that “for sure” you went to bed sooo early? With a full day, out in the sun, doing legos and team bounding experiences. A lot of moments we thought whether the activities, briefings and de-briefings would ever have an end. And at points we really were not into sharing “what went well and what would you do differently”. But in the end, we all ended up having good laughs, knowing someone completely different and thinking about that person will be able to contribute to your personal experience over the next 12 months. Yes, because that person was thought and assigned to me and my learning team mates specifically because he or she have something unique that will make a difference to me. There was actually a computer program going through mine and 899 other people’s characteristics to determine what would be the best result. So far, I am impressed. They have the skills that I lack; I got the skills that they want to learn. So far so good, we even made it through our first case in twenty minutes.

On the overall experience, the first hour and a half of the day were indeed impressive. We were welcomed by the dean and some faculty members who I ought to remember the name (but we know me…) and I was truly impressed in a way by every different speech. It might have been the 900 people auditorium, the time in the morning, or just the thrill of the first day. The messages did get through to me though, and I learnt a couple of things. Moreover, it is always good to be re-assured you are not in the wrong place at the wrong time. I learnt that even in the days when I will really think my admission must have been a computer mistake, I was rest assured the only department that does not make mistakes is the admissions office, so I will rely on that not to panic.

Comments

The Local said…
OK... I must confess that the first part of your description was kind of similar to a fancy primary school "first day" :p
However it seems that you are having a great time with a lot of fun stuff (mmm... is it on this part that we use the term vacations?... I am not quite sure... :P)...
Nevertheless seems that you have found a lot of new stuff to learn (most importantly stuff about yourself) and if that was your first day lets hope the next 729 are as good as that one. So, enjoy and take the best out of your vacations... ups... I mean MBA... sorry...

Agora a sério e em Portuganes... parece-me que tas em grande ;) e e óbvio que tens imenso para aproveitar ai... forca ai!

Beijinhos
Junior
Joana said…
Ó gaja, tanta letra!!! Assim vai ser muito complicado de acompanhar as duas desventuras por Bostão... Há que ser um pouco menos queirosiana, sim?
Passei por aqui para deixar um beijinho muito grande e para te desejar boa sorte para os tempos que agora chegam...
Em Caracas continua tudo muito bem, até já fui sair para um club, jantar sushi e fazer um dia de praia!!! Em Agosto apenas tivémos 423 morte violentas na cidade, Setembro começou um bocadinho pior e já conta com 62 (lá se foram as boas estatísticas!!)
Saudações caraqueñas...
Sara VB said…
I know, I know, I am being lazy. Instead of writing every day I am compiling all in one day. I will improve, I promise, one day, for sure...

Popular posts from this blog

It is official, I now like Malbec

Yesterday the internet in Argentina did not cooperate so no update. The day in Mendoza was great, with the nice and small family Vineyard of Altos de Hormigas being one of my favourites. They were very nice and the Malbec reserva the one that finally convinced me to like Malbec! We still had one more vineyard to go, Familia Zucatti, where we had a great lunch but the tours was already too much, we prefered to walk around on our own. But again, very different and very worth it! Today, we added Tevia to the group (after she came in my room at 5am) and repeated the Cemeterio since Tev and Shilps had not seen it, and then Malba. Surprise, surprise. Buenos Aires is not a small city but we still managed to run into Nitin and Ted in the Museum! We had a nice lunch with them and went for some more sightseeing in the afternoon. We went to Plaza de Mayo where the Casa Rosa is, walked down Calle Florida, the shopping street and up to Plaza San Martn for an excellent night view of the city. No

What would you do?

It is the new buzz word - or should I say sentence. What would you do if you were not afraid. I like to think I am not - I guess man or woman, we all do. But my answer to that question would not come blank for me - at all. And it is not being afraid because I am a woman, it is really because life can pose a threat big enough to some less expected things. The one that comes to mind today is ' I would write my book '. Note that I did not say I would write 'a' book but 'my' book. In fact I should probably even say 'one of them'. I think i have started 3 real ones by now, and 2 have a decent shot as well. But the reality I face is - what if no one wants to read it? Who will want to read what I have to say?  When I was a kid, I would write a ton of poetry. I wrote the first poem on record about the moon and the stars and as I received some first prize on my fourth grade, my parents found out about it. For many years, no matter what I bought as a gift for my d

Cover Letters

When it takes you six hours to write a cover letter, what the hell happened? I can find a handful of explanations and let you decide i) I have a hard case to sell; ii) I am too full of myself and spending too much time praising my beloved skills and experience; iii) I don’t know the company well and need to spend hours educating myself first; iv) I am watching NCIS and House in parallel, v) I am a perfectionist. For the ones that know me best, I can bet you started with number v). Bernardo is clearly betting on number iv) though wondering why not my favourite Law & Order SVU. It is nice of you to think that but, even though it is true that those are pieces of me to blame, number i), ii) and iii) also apply. First, I do have a hard case to sell. As impressive at it may seem to have worked in Morgan Stanley, how do I guarantee that it is not because the market is down that I am not going back there. As impressive as it may seem to have worked on the ground in Mozambique, what does i