Skip to main content

De-cluttering for opportunity


As I binged listened to the Bixchix podcast today (Episode #31 Married with Luggage), I got to meet this entrepreneur who left her life with her husband to go travel the world. No, I am not here to talk about quitting my job and travelling the world near and far (I have 2 children remember?). What called my attention was that as part of this process, she had to de-clutter, sell her stuff, carry a suitcase to another country and at the end leave no house behind. I have recently had a good de-cluttering spree so I relate to it, as I am not quite done yet. There are still bags to be taken to charity downstairs (hidden from the children as they have not seen those with toys) and I know there is more in the house that we can certainly leave without. But this is the extent of my de-cluttering drive right now, stuff.

What I thought this episode brought new perspective was about de-cluttering is about so much more than stuff. Betsy Talbot argues it is actually about de-cluttering from habits, from needs and even from people that may be toxic. The newspaper you get but never really read, the breakfast out you have spending double the money without real need or difference, the regular dinner out just because. I thought it was pretty amazing that she was able to change her life on the basis of de-cluttering. It was actually only because she did so that she was able to make fundamental changes - she was able to not only save, but more importantly make space in her life for new opportunities, new ways to enjoy her social life, new people to meet.

In fact, I see de-cluttering as an opportunity rather than a net reduction. Granted, there needs to be a gross reduction of stuff, things, habits. But I am still not convinced the net effect is that you have less stuff. At least at this stage of life with children and increasing needs. But at least de-cluttering gives you the space (especially in London) and the opportunity to replenish with a world of new things or new experiences. No, I am not a shopaholic trying to find a way to find more things and fit more into my wardrobe. You will actually find that I am the one with the least amount of clothes in the house. I am still thorn on who is winning between B and baby S. I think the latter in quantity but the former in size. In fact, I am quite the opposite, I am a practical shopper, which means that if there is something in my close that remotely looks like what I am trying to buy, I am unlikely to make that purchase. So this summer I removed the cardigans that never get worn from my drawers, and I can actually look forward to immersing myself into the next sale season and get some new cashmere (yes, I do cashmere, at least until someone puts them in the washer again, then my daughter's dolls may do cashmere with my size XSS cardigans). I find that de-cluttering allows me to feel like I have earned my shopping, as I really can not live on a pair of black pants if I wear black pants 3x a week. And I used this with B, which worked out in doubling the number of charity bags we took away from our room.

But enough about stuff. If I look back, I must admit I have de-cluttered a few years back, I just didn't face it as such. There was a time in my life I was overwhelmed with all that was going on. Working wife and mother, social mantelpiece, social entrepreneur and board advisor investor to a troubled startup, with friends in more than 3 continents and tight relationships with people in 3 different timezones. I de-cluttered my life. It was out of need, and not a conscious act. As I navigated my mental overload I just did not feel like seeing people, I just could not cope with filled social events, I focused on the few relationships that I thought I could manage, mostly through whatsapp really. I knew I would be back to live, but that was not an immediate act. I also de-cluttered my life goals. I did not get rid of them, but they were clearly all happening at the same time. I reduced the amount of business plans I allowed myself to pursue a year, I reduced the amount of start ups I was involved with, I reduced the type of work I allowed myself to do in the charity, I reduced the solo execution mode to hire a team at work. Long process of dealing with limitations in the 24 hours of the day and the troubles of actually having to spend a few hours sleeping. Looking back, I certainly de-cluttered. And that has certainly given me a world of opportunity. I could see with greater clarity where new opportunities lie, I allowed myself to meet new people when I was back to wanting to see people. But most importantly, I always protected myself from hoarding going forward. Hoarding too much expectations about myself. That gave me a real opportunity. To be happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is official, I now like Malbec

Yesterday the internet in Argentina did not cooperate so no update. The day in Mendoza was great, with the nice and small family Vineyard of Altos de Hormigas being one of my favourites. They were very nice and the Malbec reserva the one that finally convinced me to like Malbec! We still had one more vineyard to go, Familia Zucatti, where we had a great lunch but the tours was already too much, we prefered to walk around on our own. But again, very different and very worth it! Today, we added Tevia to the group (after she came in my room at 5am) and repeated the Cemeterio since Tev and Shilps had not seen it, and then Malba. Surprise, surprise. Buenos Aires is not a small city but we still managed to run into Nitin and Ted in the Museum! We had a nice lunch with them and went for some more sightseeing in the afternoon. We went to Plaza de Mayo where the Casa Rosa is, walked down Calle Florida, the shopping street and up to Plaza San Martn for an excellent night view of the city. No

What would you do?

It is the new buzz word - or should I say sentence. What would you do if you were not afraid. I like to think I am not - I guess man or woman, we all do. But my answer to that question would not come blank for me - at all. And it is not being afraid because I am a woman, it is really because life can pose a threat big enough to some less expected things. The one that comes to mind today is ' I would write my book '. Note that I did not say I would write 'a' book but 'my' book. In fact I should probably even say 'one of them'. I think i have started 3 real ones by now, and 2 have a decent shot as well. But the reality I face is - what if no one wants to read it? Who will want to read what I have to say?  When I was a kid, I would write a ton of poetry. I wrote the first poem on record about the moon and the stars and as I received some first prize on my fourth grade, my parents found out about it. For many years, no matter what I bought as a gift for my d

Cover Letters

When it takes you six hours to write a cover letter, what the hell happened? I can find a handful of explanations and let you decide i) I have a hard case to sell; ii) I am too full of myself and spending too much time praising my beloved skills and experience; iii) I don’t know the company well and need to spend hours educating myself first; iv) I am watching NCIS and House in parallel, v) I am a perfectionist. For the ones that know me best, I can bet you started with number v). Bernardo is clearly betting on number iv) though wondering why not my favourite Law & Order SVU. It is nice of you to think that but, even though it is true that those are pieces of me to blame, number i), ii) and iii) also apply. First, I do have a hard case to sell. As impressive at it may seem to have worked in Morgan Stanley, how do I guarantee that it is not because the market is down that I am not going back there. As impressive as it may seem to have worked on the ground in Mozambique, what does i