Skip to main content

5 Year Weekend

A weekend to remember - returning to Boston 5 years after getting my diploma. I had been to Bostom a few times after, but this time, everyone was back. It beat my expectations.  I was afraid of the somewhat superficial conversation that arises with people you have not seen in 5 years. But even though many of the people you don't meet because you don't, others it is really because you live in different cities and continents, or even if in the same city, life takes the better of you and multi tasking takes a toll on your social life. It was great to hear what people are doing, how many have changed to go pursue new dreams, how many found happiness in their first job and settlement coty after business school. 
Being back at Harvard surrou ded with type A over achieving personalities can be tough. I was afraid my already beaten up brain might not react well in light of my constant feeling of failing at something, no matter how big or small. That was a great concern I had with this weekend. But I was relieved to see we are all succeeding and failing, all juggling ampnd struggling. Moreover, i was happy to see Harvard is addressing it, with multiple sessions about it, one of which I attended 'how to balance or blend your life'. It did not give me the answers I needed, simply because I don't think that answer exists, but the perspective of those striving for the answer is insightful, especially as they are on their 10th, 15th, 20th, 50th or even 60th reunion! 
There was more about the weekend that caught my attention, the whole vibe about entrepreneurship. But I will leave that for another post. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)