Skip to main content

What a week

There are weeks that could just be erased from the map. And it all started so well with me and nephew #3 spending hours doing leggos and him surprising us with full sentences in English (English is his third "native" language so he is not keen to speak it). And that was it, the last remaining pieces of good stuff in the week.. Back on last Sunday!
They always say bad things come in sets of three but I must have lost count by now. It all goes from being delighted with the new flat we made the deposit on to the landlady deciding to go back on the agreement and taking someone else's offer. I had already done my IKEA shopping list, the new table, the new closet, new stuff for the kitchen. I am not a compulsive shopper but I do love buying things for the house, or should I say home. But we have options, so no panic, despite being upset, we have options. So I cross town in the middle of the day to go confirm option number 2 and find out the landlady does not want me to put a shower hook over the bath - I must have a bath or use the shower in the non-ensuite-on-the-other-side-of-the-flat bathroom. And I am kind of thinking that defeats the purpose of paying for a 2 bathroom flat. But after all, it is not that she does not like a hook on the wall, it is only that the wall is not prepared to get water, e.g. the wall of the bathroom next to the bath tube can not take water. Makes total sense, I am thinking. So then we get a builder to evaluate the situation and he says £300 resolve the situation, tiling, curtain, protection, everything. Initially we thought we should not pay for it, but after she allowed us to do the works but not to pay for them, we thought what the hell, it has such a nice pateo, a large living room lets go. That was about at the same time as she decided to take another offer.
Week is going well, the world is falling apart and our rent in the current flat is done in 20 days. Looks like a long time to change flats in London, where you can move within 48 hours, but the truth is it only allows one weekend and we have seen over 20 flats last week, which means we probably saw most of the things available in the market.

So it was just one of those weeks, I wish I had slept all the way through it. In the middle, I gave up on Coca-Cola for lent. What a great idea I had. I did that back in 2004, when I was not more into Coca-Cola but I drank it all the time, and I was living in Mozambique (where Coca Cola is cheaper than water). It was painful but I survived and came out of it with a sense of accomplishment (it was the first time I gave up on something for lent) and also with a sense of enjoyment each time I drink a Coca-Cola, until today. I did this for alcohol for 2 years, one in MBA, one last year, and they worked well, definitely the one during the MBA was the hardest to achieve. But this year, for some reason, I went again for Coca-Cola. Maybe because I wish I put down those extra 2kgs that came to me the last 3 months but I did not give it much thought. And now here I am, Friday afternoon, not being able to have a proper meat meal for lunch because it is Friday in lent AND voluntarily chosing not to drink Coke. In a week like this! Can it get worse? Of course it can, but I just thought it was better to finish the week description on a funny and lighter note than my homeless saga.


- Sara @ iPad

Location:London

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is official, I now like Malbec

Yesterday the internet in Argentina did not cooperate so no update. The day in Mendoza was great, with the nice and small family Vineyard of Altos de Hormigas being one of my favourites. They were very nice and the Malbec reserva the one that finally convinced me to like Malbec! We still had one more vineyard to go, Familia Zucatti, where we had a great lunch but the tours was already too much, we prefered to walk around on our own. But again, very different and very worth it! Today, we added Tevia to the group (after she came in my room at 5am) and repeated the Cemeterio since Tev and Shilps had not seen it, and then Malba. Surprise, surprise. Buenos Aires is not a small city but we still managed to run into Nitin and Ted in the Museum! We had a nice lunch with them and went for some more sightseeing in the afternoon. We went to Plaza de Mayo where the Casa Rosa is, walked down Calle Florida, the shopping street and up to Plaza San Martn for an excellent night view of the city. No

What would you do?

It is the new buzz word - or should I say sentence. What would you do if you were not afraid. I like to think I am not - I guess man or woman, we all do. But my answer to that question would not come blank for me - at all. And it is not being afraid because I am a woman, it is really because life can pose a threat big enough to some less expected things. The one that comes to mind today is ' I would write my book '. Note that I did not say I would write 'a' book but 'my' book. In fact I should probably even say 'one of them'. I think i have started 3 real ones by now, and 2 have a decent shot as well. But the reality I face is - what if no one wants to read it? Who will want to read what I have to say?  When I was a kid, I would write a ton of poetry. I wrote the first poem on record about the moon and the stars and as I received some first prize on my fourth grade, my parents found out about it. For many years, no matter what I bought as a gift for my d

Cover Letters

When it takes you six hours to write a cover letter, what the hell happened? I can find a handful of explanations and let you decide i) I have a hard case to sell; ii) I am too full of myself and spending too much time praising my beloved skills and experience; iii) I don’t know the company well and need to spend hours educating myself first; iv) I am watching NCIS and House in parallel, v) I am a perfectionist. For the ones that know me best, I can bet you started with number v). Bernardo is clearly betting on number iv) though wondering why not my favourite Law & Order SVU. It is nice of you to think that but, even though it is true that those are pieces of me to blame, number i), ii) and iii) also apply. First, I do have a hard case to sell. As impressive at it may seem to have worked in Morgan Stanley, how do I guarantee that it is not because the market is down that I am not going back there. As impressive as it may seem to have worked on the ground in Mozambique, what does i