Skip to main content

Running a charity


Running a charity can be challenging. People think lack of funds are your biggest headache and truth is all I miss are hands. I miss hands to help me organize events, hands to help me ask money to corporates, hands to help me ask money to foundations, hands to write proposals, hands to help me think of creative advertising and campaigns, hands and brains that allow me to be less of a bottleneck and more of a CEO. I struggle, everyone knows that and it is hard to chose where to turn. I do have to check the accounts to see where funds need to go, where we still have them and who needs them now. But I also should be networking, reading about the industry, getting educated on all we could do. This week was my first week in tweeter, I did not even know how it worked and how powerful of an awareness tool it was. I should also be thinking of finally getting my hands around social return on investment and establish a framework for us to evaluate all our projects in measurable ways. I did a lot of that in Harvard, even structured a social bond, but now I struggle to find the time. The problem is that so much of it is still in my head, no matter how much I write. So I guess I just need to keep typing...
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time is what makes us different

I heard what is likely to become one of my top 3 favourite quotes on a podcast on Friday. "Time is the only real democratic asset. We are all awarded the same time, it is what we do with it that distinguishes us".  Now, I recognise that most of us need to work with survive and that is not democratic throughout. But on an equal opportunity basis, this is an interesting way of putting it. For many years I did not understand why MS thought my resume was so interesting. In fact, they chased me during the entire recruitment process, even though I had no idea of moving to London or Finance. I wanted to be a consultant and stay in Lisbon forever. But traditional consultants in Portugal saw nothing in me, and MS did not let me go. When I started screening resumes and hiring people a couple of years later is when I understood why I was different. TIME.  I was truly different about what I did with my time. Not necessarily the basics - choice of degree or anything. But really ...

Short one: D-Day

It is D-Day today :-) I took out the braids, and the clock is ticking. Bernardo will be in Maputo in two hours. We have plans for the weekend and so much to catch up on. I doubt I will be blogging soon, hehe

Blogging

I have not written in a while. As I hit the bottom I was afraid of what might come out and what might be registered in the web for eternity. But it does not matter. As I go through this stage I know that writing is probably one of the best things I can do, and keeping things inside one of the worst. And short of re-starting my book (or books) any time soon, as they feature about 27 in my list of things I wish I could do, this is just as good.  People used to write diaries, now they blog. I reas on facebook that people used to be upset if someone read their diary, now they get angry if no one reads their blog. It is a funny phenomena. I must say that most of times I think no-one is reading, so why bother, and even those reading won't miss it amongst all other things they surely read. But then a comment comes through, an email reminds me of something I wrote and I know that someone out there comes and visits my home away from home. For good or bad :)